These five pieces were composed with a process I call interlooping. Each piece starts out as a single loop of spontaneously-played piano, which is played back while I play and record a second "live" loop. This continual layering of live playing over accumulated loops results in a combination of interesting interruptions, harmonies, and echos that make each piece increasingly more dynamic from start to finish.
The titles refer to specific moments from my life that remind me of where I've been, and how I discovered where I'm meant to be.
- Tanglewood: The dissolution of my first long-term relationship.
- Long Distance: The passing of my grandmother.
- Questions: The process of shedding the faith of my childhood.
- First Glance: The precise moment I met my wife, the love of my life.
- Providence: The street in Lawrence, KS, on which my wife and I now live, and where we've decided to make our home.
released April 30, 2014
All music composed, performed, and recorded by Christian Williams. Recorded with a Zoom H2N through the Looptastic HD app for iPad; mixed and mastered with Audacity.
Christian Williams is a self-taught musician, experimental composer, and visual artist. His passion for expression has led
him to dabble in a wide variety of music styles, ranging from dark acoustic folk music inspired by the American prairie to abstract sound art utilizing acoustic loops and field recordings....more